A great patio and patio furniture will bring comfort and function to any outdoor space. Take a wood or stone patio and turn it into an extension of your dining room or kitchen by turning it into the perfect spot to eat al fresco. Speaking of creating an extension of your home via your patio, select comfortable sofas and chairs with cushions so it quickly becomes a second living area during warm weather.
A thoughtfully designed layout of your outdoor furniture can make this new outdoor space a favorite spot to sneak away to! Balconies and small urban backyards, if done right, can be that perfect outdoor spot.
6 Things to Think About Before You Dive In:
- Storage: There are some fabulous watertight storage bins for your cushions or seat covers when your furniture is not in use.
- Invest in quality furniture. Try out the patio seating before you buy. Not every outdoor cushion is the same!
- Looking to make a statement? Adding a colorful rug and some pillows can make a huge impact on your outdoor space. It’s an inexpensive way to change up your look from season to season. Accessories like planters in your color scheme, along with strings of lights, can give your space a special look.
- An outdoor pendant light, if possible, is a transformative piece that finishes off your outdoor space and truly makes it an extension of your home.
- We love a fire pit or fire table as part of the seating area for nighttime enjoyment. A fire pit at your summer home or primary residence is a great way to extend your time outdoors. If you live in the city, then a gas or propane fueled fire table is the perfect way to get this same feeling.
- Think of what style you’re looking to create with a list of must-have furniture items. Are you planning to host dinner parties or casual happy hours? This will help you decide whether to buy a complete dining table and chairs or some nice high top tables. You can create the same mood with some low side tables to go with your sofa and chairs.
Here are some rugs I like from Perennials
Current Outdoor Project
I’m currently working with a client of mine who asked if I could help with their new outdoor patio. They’re having a graduation party soon and wanted to transform their patio into a space perfect for entertaining yet not high maintenance. I was tasked with finding high quality, easy-care outdoor furniture that can withstand inclement weather and that is low maintenance (ie no pillows if possible!) Here are some of the pieces on order:
I look forward to seeing this space completed and will share images once we have them!